Health and wellbeing

Our College Nurse and College Counsellors are based in the College’s own Health and Wellbeing Centre, where they hold regular individual and group sessions.
All Newnham students (including those from the EU and Overseas) are required to register with an NHS surgery. See below for more details.

Out of hours and emergency support

Please see out of hours resources and emergency contact details for both physical and mental health problems.

Registering with a GP

All Newnham students (including those from the EU and Overseas) are required to register with an NHS surgery.
Most Newnham students choose to register at Newnham Walk Surgery, a convenient minute’s walk away from the college. This year, you will be able to complete GP registration online.

College Health and Wellbeing Centre

Our College Nurse and College Counsellor are based in the College Health and Wellbeing Centre, which is on the ground floor of Pfeiffer building, across the garden from the Porters’ Lodge. For accessibility details, see AccessAble.

College Nurse

Our College Nurse, Anne Schumann, holds regular surgeries and can offer medical advice. She is available to help with a wide variety of health and welfare needs, ranging from advice on minor illnesses and injuries to support for emotional issues. If more specialised help or treatment is required, she will help refer you or point you in the right direction via your GP, the University Counselling Service or other local service.

The Health Centre is open during term time. Weekly clinic times are advertised in Newnham News each week.

All information disclosed to the College Nurse is kept in strict medical confidence. No information will be shared with other parties without prior consent except in extreme circumstance.

Book an appointment with the nurse

Newnham College Health Records – GDPR Statement

Newnham College – Nurse Confidentiality Statement

Mental Health

Your mental health needs to be looked after as much as your physical health. See the University’s Student Wellbeing pages for ideas and guidance on how to support your mental health at University.

Many people sort out problems by talking to friends, family or staff in their College or Department. Some of you will wish to speak to the Chaplain, who is, as he says, available to ‘students of all faiths, or none’; he can be reached at .

Sometimes looking up information about things that are concerning you is helpful and UCS has a large selection of self-help information available. However, there are times when this is not enough and you may wish to speak to a Counsellor.

Newnham students have access to lots of counselling resources. These are the choices available, and all are free to students:

Newnham has two College-based Counsellors: Elrika Erasmus, Newnham College Counselling Psychologist and Claire Addison, Counsellor. Please note that for now, all counselling is via Zoom or ‘phone.

1. Elrika is available as follows:
Term time hours:
Mondays 9:00am – 16:00
Thursdays 9:00am – 15:00

Please email for an appointment:

2. Claire Addison is available as follows:
Term-time hours:
Fridays 09:00-17:00

Appointments are available with Claire on Fridays during term. To book an appointment on a Friday with Claire, self-refer to the University Counselling Service and choose ‘Newnham’s assigned Counsellor’.

Claire also offers two shorter drop-in sessions each Friday (30 minutes long). These are available to all students at Newnham who have concerns about their emotional well-being.  To book the next available drop-in session, email the UCS directly on stating ‘Newnham Drop-in’.

3. University Counselling Service

Newnham helps to fund the University Counselling Service (UCS) and all Newnham students have full access to their services and their numerous counsellors.
More information here about UCS provision.

UCS counsellors are available: Monday-Friday 09:00-17:00
The Service remains open throughout the year except for brief closures at Christmas and Easter.
This is how you contact UCS.

UCS also has a large selection of self-help information available on this website.

If you would like to speak to a BAME counsellor, there are options via all three routes as follows:

1. The College has signed up with a firm called JHD Counselling who have BAME counsellors available. To be referred to JHD Counselling, please ask one of the following to refer you:

Thanuja Galhena <> (BAME Advisor)
Elrika Erasmus <> (College Counsellor)
Victoria Argent <> (Tutorial & Admissions Office Manager)
Anne Schumann <> (College Nurse)

Other useful information can be found here: Mental health support | Student Wellbeing (

Don’t forget that if you are struggling and want to talk things through, the College Nurse is still available Monday- Friday (part-time).
You can check out times and book on Moodle

University Good Life Project

CPSL Mind (Cambridgeshire, Peterborough and South Lincolnshire Mind) have launched a couple of new initiatives focusing on University students. The University Good Life Project (funded by Primary Care Network) offers free informal well-being support in ‘Good Mood Cafes’ Thursdays 2-3pm (10-15 students per session on Zoom) and aims to provide a positive safe space with messages for self-care. ‘Open Door Calm Spaces’ offer sessions on mindfulness and relaxation techniques. They also provide a series of courses to students on well-being awareness and ‘Tools and Techniques’.

Allergies in College

If you carry an Adrenaline Auto-Injector (EpiPen) you are encouraged to keep a spare in College – please see the College Nurse about this, and make sure that you carry your AAI at all times, that it is in date, and that your friends and neighbours know where it is and what to do in an emergency.

All members of college can help by:

• Being considerate in your shared kitchen – clean up after yourself.
• If someone has an anaphylactic reaction help them administer their EpiPen and ‘phone 999. Let the porters know: 01223 335700 – so that they can direct paramedics and, as trained first-aiders help.
• A spare EpiPen is kept at the Porters’ Lodge for use in an emergency.

Newnham Anaphylaxis Emergency Guidelines 2021

See these helpful tips for students with allergies