The Fellowship is endowed to assist women with substantial experience of research, often beyond the doctoral level.
For the term of the Fellowship, Gibbs Fellows are elected Senior Members of Newnham College. We hope that Gibbs Fellows will feel part of the college community, and they are warmly welcomed to both research and social events.
Fellows are entitled to a certain number of meals in College free of charge and to invite guests, to make use of the College facilities (room bookings and hire, library and archives, gym, etc.), and other benefits of a Senior Member.
Fellows are required to submit a short summary of their research within two years of the end of the funded travel, and are invited to present their findings at a lecture before the annual dinner to celebrate the Gibbs Travelling Research Fellowship, to which all present and former Gibbs Fellows are invited.
- graduate women who are or have been members of any College or Approved Foundation or Approved Society in, or University Officers in, the University of Cambridge.
- research to be conducted outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Islands and normally not within an applicant’s own country of residence, if this is different.
- graduate students who will have completed their PhD before taking up a Fellowship are eligible to apply.
- there is no upper age limit.
- preference will be given to present or former members of Newnham College if two proposals are judged to be of equal quality.
Applications are now open for Gibbs Fellowship(s) which will run from 1 October 2023 to 30 September 2024.
Applications will close at 23:59GMT on Monday 27 March 2023. For further information and details of how to apply click here.