Professor Fiona Gilbert
MB BChir CHB (Glasgow), MRCP, DMRD (Aberdeen), FRCR, FRCP (Glasgow), FRCP (Edinburgh), MA
- Professorial Fellow (C)
- Professor of Radiology
- Head of Department of Radiology
- Member of Human Resources Committee
- Clinical School Faculty Board
- Council of Clinical School
- Cambridge Health Imaging
Telephone: +44 (0) 1223 746439
Prof Fiona Gilbert is an academic radiologist who undertakes assessment of new imaging techniques to improve patient outcomes. As a breast radiologist she is evaluating risk based screening and impact of Artificial Intelligence and novel functional imaging in cancer.
Professor Gilbert has contributed to various advisory boards establishing national standards for medical imaging, sat on a number of grant giving bodies and chaired the Academic Committee at the Royal College of Radiologists. She is President of the European Society of Breast Imaging 2020-2022 and is Chair of the breast subcommittee of the Radiological Society of North America 2019-2022.
She was an NIHR Senior Investigator 2016-2020. In 2019, she was awarded an Honorary Membership of the Radiological Society of North America and in 2021 she will be awarded the Gold Medal of the European Society of Radiology.
She was appointed Head of Department of Radiology at the University of Cambridge in 2011.
Prof Fiona Gilbert works in radiology and breast cancer research, and on the assessment of imaging technology more broadly.
Her research interests include
- Assessment of imaging technology and the impact of new developments on patients health, clinician decision making and cost effectiveness for society;
- Imaging of breast cancers using many modalities including mammography, digital breast tomosynthesis, computer aided detection;
- Screening for breast cancer with respect to risk factors;
- Multimodal functional imaging of cancers and correlation with genetic profiles.
- Novel Imaging techniques in musculoskeletal disease especially to assess cartilage and osteoarthritis.